What do I need to import?

To import any type of goods into the United States, the practice of due diligence is the acceptable practice on your part as the importer. Meaning that all imports do not apply the same way for all goods, whether you are importing live stock, perishables, wine, apparel to woods because each type of goods are determined by PGA (Partner Government Agencies) according to their rules and regulations and CBP look for the basic paper work for entry as well as other paper work required by PGA. PGA determine whether a good is prohibited or allow entry into the United States. As the Importer of Record you are responsible to research and gather information on the type of documents you will need to import your goods.

Documents Required by CBP upon entry of goods.

  1. A bill of lading or air waybill
  2. Commercial Invoice
  3. Packing Slip
  4. Surety Bond

As an Example from each PGA

Partner Government Agencies
Importing Wine, Liquor and
Must have a EIN from IRS Federal Basic Importer’s Permit
 TTB F 5100.24
Alcohol Dealer Registration,
TTB F 5630.5(d)
Application for and
Certification/Exemption of
Label/Bottle Approval (COLA)
 TTB F 5100.31A certificate of age or origin is required for
certain wines and distilled
spirits imported into the United States
1. Importer must have authorization letter to sell by manufacture
2. Natural wine certification for  enological practices agreement, no certification is required. Please refer to our list
3. A certificate of age or origin is required for certain wines and distilled spirits imported into the United States.  
4. FDA Prior Notice,
5.Bioterrorism Act of 2002
6. State Level, Import permit and other
On Oct 1, 2022, FAVIR will be replaced by ACIR (https://acir.aphis.usda.gov/s/)

Importing Grapes Cluster of
Importing from Chile.
1. An Import Permit is required.
1. Admissible Plant Parts: Cluster of fruit, Fruit
2. Admissible Ports: All Ports
3. This commodity is subject to inspection at the port of entry and all general requirements of 7 CFR 319.56-3.
4.oluntary Preclearance: Consignments may or may not be precleared, signed PPQ Form 203 or a vessel report from APHIS.
5. Condition of Entry Treatment: T101-h-2 (Methyl Bromide Fumigation) REQUIRE T101-h-2 in addition to any required Medfly treatments.
6. Condition of Entry Treatment: T101-h-2-1 (Methyl Bromide Fumigation) , or T107-a (Cold Treatment) , or T108-a (Methyl Bromide Fumigation and Cold Treatment) If treatment has not been completed or fails, the fruits or vegetables may arrive in the United States at either of the following locations:
At ports located north of 39° latitude and east of 104° longitude
At ports with approved cold-treatment
Production Location: Not from any quarantine area.
Phytosanitary Certificate: Must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate issued by the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) of Chile with an additional declaration stating the consignment was produced in an area free of Ceratitis capitata

Reference Information: To be treated in accordance with the Plant Protection and Quarantine Treatment Manual (https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/treatment.pdf).